Domaine Pierre Morey
The Morey family’s origins can be traced back to the sixteenth century in Burgundy and since 1793 in Meursault. Each generation has worked the vineyards and made wine. In 1935 and at a very young age, Pierre Morey’s father, Auguste, became a share-cropper for Domaine des Comtes Lafon. At the time, the wine industry was struggling to regain momentum after an economic crisis and vineyard owners needed sharecroppers to survive financially. The sharecropping agreement included parcels in some of Meursault’s best premier crus: Perrières, Genevrières, and Charmes.
When Pierre established Domaine Pierre Morey in 1971, his father began to transfer his leasing rights to him. This continued until 1984 when the Lafon family decided to retake control of all their vineyards parcels and work them directly.
From 1988 till 2008, Pierre Morey was the Cellar Master at Domaine Leflaive. During this period, he was in charge of all the technical aspects of the vineyard work and winemaking.
Today, Pierre is joined at his domaine by his daughter Anne Morey who is the co-manager of the estate. The 10 hectares domaine has been farmed biodynamically since 1997 and has parcels in the villages of Monthelie, Pommard, Puligny-Montrachet, and, of course Meursault.